08 September 2014

Week 65: OUR FIRST BAPTISMAL DATE

September 8, 2014
Geliefde Familie: 
 
Woo a'dam!

Oh my, oh my goodness. This week was fun. We left Lelystad a lot, actually. We went to Amsterdam last Monday and toured around a bit, which was lovely (I'll send pictures in a sec), and we went to Enkhuizen (across the dijk in Noord Holland), which is a super old and beautiful little town to look up a bunch of inactives, and I went to Zoetermeer on an exchange with Zr Watkins and GW! It was a blast and we talked a lot about squares and how we never want to marry one or become one. 
Enkhuizen is so cute and it's only like 30 km away from this hideous place, I don't get it.
Marit. We had a great lesson with her too. She broke up with her boyfriend, who was not good for her at all. We went in and read 2 Nephi 2 with her because she hadn't read it. She was asking amazing questions throughout and at the end of the lesson, she told us that she was planning on dropping us, but that chapter made her curious and want to learn more. We then were able to testify about how the Spirit works when we actually read the Book of Mormon. She promised to come to church, and was even on board when we texted her Saturday night, but didn't show up. Jammer genoeg.Back to the subject line. CHARLIE. She is amazing. I love teaching young people! They're so smart and so teachable at the same time. I love it. We were talking to her this week about the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity. The first lesson was awesome. She totally got it. Some people don't get why tea is bad, but we explained to her that it is addictive and she got it really fast. My favorite quote of hers during that lesson was after Zr AA said "Studies have shown that members of the LDS Church are some of the healthiest people in the world." She goes, "I'm becoming a part of the healthiest clan in the world?" So yeah, from there it was pretty easy to set a baptismal date. We have to wait until she's 18, so I'll already be home, but that's actually not that far away and hopefully I can Skype in. We are praying that she'll be able to find strength in this time that Satan will definitely be trying her faith. 
I need to explain something about Harry Potter. In your last few years at Hogwarts, you basically start thinking about what you want to become, and Harry decides in book 6 that he wants to become an Auror. An Auror is someone who is trained to fight Dark Magic. Basically, you have to pass some tests and prove yourself--much like getting a real degree in our Muggle world. So, as I sort of start to think about what I'm going to do with my life, I feel a lot like Harry. He wants to be an Auror so that he can best prepare for fighting Voldemort. Now, listen, I am sure most of you know how much I love HP, but this is serious! Satan is just as real for us as Voldemort was for Harry. Harry knew that he'd come in contact with some scary things in his life. We are just the same. The adversary is out there and he wants to destroy us, so we have to make sure that we are becoming Aurors too. Whatever I study, whatever I DO really, it's either preparing me for the challenges ahead or not. That said, I still don't know what I'm going to do with my life. But for now, I guess I'm building up my Spiritual protection pretty well, so I'll just keep finding, teaching, and baptizing. 
MISSION CONFERENCE WITH ELDER BALLARD THIS WEEK IM STOKED OMG
Grammy, thank you, thank you, thank you for that package! I love it! The necklace is so pretty and of course, a girl can never get too many Reese's. Bless your soul. And ironically, the morning before I got it, I was thinking about how I wanted more notebooks, and then BOOM, two super cute ones just showed up at my apartment. I can always count on you to read my mind. 
Adventure of the week: burned a tortilla in the oven, so we opened the back door to let it air out. The smoke alarm went off and everything haha. Anyway, later that night as we were shutting the door (yes, it is a two person job...) my companion screamed "SISTER SISTER OH NO OH NO OH NO" So I'm like "WHAT DID WE SMASH YOUR FINGER" but she then whispered that the neighbor was naked on the balcony smoking. I was like "OH NO, did you see...?" She goes, "YES I SAW HIS HAIRY NAKED BUTT" in a whisper scream hahahahahah Poor thing. She was pretty affected by that trauma.
I've been thinking a lot about what President Uchtdorf said about gratitude being the catalyst for all Christ like attributes. When we think about Spiritual Gifts and how we need to first develop Christ like attributes before we can have them, it makes me realize how necessary it is to be grateful. It just took me like 30 seconds to think of the word 'necessary' in English. Oh no. 
Mom, do we know when we're going to be in Utah over the break yet? 
Well, IK HOU VAN JULLIE! Have a great week!
Liefs,
Zr Heilner

Rijks Museum in A'dam


Familie Lub that took us to Enkhuizen. It takes 20 minutes to drive across the dijk.




No comments:

Post a Comment