22 September 2013

Week 14: Rockin' my soul in the bosom of Abraham

September 16, 2013
Geliefde Familie: 
Hallo iedereen!

This week was fantastic. Pretty busy, but that's exactly how I like it on a mission. It's kinda funny how much Nederengles I want to use when I'm writing to you, but you won't understand it. Jammer. 

We brought Christian rap to a new level this week by adding CARIBBEAN to the mix! We were doing a service activity for a part-member family from St. Martins. We were doing their yard work and the man (nonmember) turned on music to work with us. It was funny. They call Christ “Cha Cha”! And then every so often, we'd get a not-so-Christian rap song to come on and my companion would usually ask them to skip it haha.

For Christmas, can I get some gardening gloves? Those would definitely come in handy.

Miracle of the week: CHRIS! He is from Africa and he is wonderful. Sierra Leone or however you spell it. He's been living here in Nederland for 11 years and he is very devout in his Christian faith. But this week we set a baptismal date with him! October 12! He is so excited. He usually has to go to Germany on the weekends to work for someone, but this week he surprised us by not going and he showed up to a baptism for another city that comes to Groningen to do baptisms because they don't have a font. The city is Emmen, by the way. But we are so excited for Chris! He is wonderful.

We were sitting in Starbucks doing our weekly panning (yeah, I know...but we were at the train station because we were on our way back from exchanges and we wouldn't be able to go back home before we'd have to leave again) and this 82-yr old lady came up to us and was talking to us. She is the most popping old lady I have ever seen. She was like, "girls, you are so young and beautiful. The world is a beautiful place. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise” she was like this huge world traveler and it was so cool and I want to be just like her when I'm that old. But also like Grandma because Grandma is awesome.

More often than not I show up to District Meeting soaking wet. Literally dripping. I don't even know what I'm going to do in the winter. It was so unpleasant. I need to get black boots really badly because the shoes I was wearing (those black loafers) were so wet I had to take my shoes off to dry. Then I gave a little talk in District Meeting so it was obviously SUPER professional with bare feet...but I didn't feel that bad because the wife of the senior couple told me to do it, so if she says it's okay, it's okay. Love Sister Spek. 

We ride in the rain a lot!

MOM, HAPPY ALMOST BIRTHDAY! For your birthday I will go on a mission to the closest mission to yours. Also, I forgot to tell you, one of the sisters here used to live in Gottingen. She talks about it all the time when we are on exchanges together. Tender. Also, thanks for keeping up with my blog.

"Music and the Spoken Word" continues to hold the title for craziest music I hear on my mission. We were listening to it last night at a members house before we could catch our train and we heard them singing, "rockin' my soul in the bosom of Abraham," so with that ambiguous image, I will sign off for this week.

IK HOU ZO VEEL VAN JULLIE! My family is so cool. Congrats, Mark, on football. 

Zuster Heilner

No comments:

Post a Comment